Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Today



This morning it was snowing. I walked Koda then shoveled. Hunter's daycare had a delayed opening so we let him sleep in. He woke up after J had left for work. We cuddled and watched Lion Guard, his current favorite cartoon. After I dropped Hunter off at daycare I went home and picked up Koda.


We went to the municipal golf course. You can go there in the winter with your dog off leash. I strapped on my snowshoes and we started mucking around. I haven't had snowshoes on in a year and it felt so good. I trotted, then ran. Relishing the feeling of moving so effortlessly over the snow. We took an aimless course through a patch of woods. We scared up a pileated woodpecker who scolded us thoroughly for the indignity. I saw junco's too. I don't ever see them just a mile away at our house.



I went home and slapped some paint on a funky spot in the closet of Rider's room. If the god's will it, he'll join us in early March. We're almost done getting his room together and can't wait to meet him. I showered then headed out. I ate lunch at Capital Q Smokehouse. I used to live around the corner and a few houses down and remembered those days while staring at the mural on the old plumbing building.


From there I headed downtown to stop at Cheesecake Machismo. When I came to Albany, Lark Street seemed like the most cosmopolitan and hip place I could imagine. Bomber's, Ben and Jerry's, Head shops, cool bars, Lark Tattoo and Cheesecake Machismo. The inside is decorated with vintage toys, Albany Punk and skate ephemera. The tables are plastered with comic book scenes. New flavor's every day until they're gone. Everything is beyond delicious and there's sure to be something far out and funky.  I got a few pieces for the three of us to share tonight.


From there I dipped under Empire Plaza and crossed the river to Troy. I got to really thoroughly shop the River Street Beat Shop. I found some great records and really enjoyed talking with the owner about music. He ended up giving me a great deal on the albums I found. All day I had been listening to  the Grateful Dead's performance on 1/17/68 at the Carousel Ball in San Fransisco. A great specimen of the primal dead period. As that show wrapped up I put on the Disco Biscuits performance at Revolution Hall in Troy, New York on 4/10/03 and enjoyed a deep and funky Mullberry's Dream as I drove back into Albany.


After another round of snow removal I'm digging on my music, writing this post and thinking how good life is. My family is happy, healthy and growing. Last night I had some pangs of desire for bigger adventures. On my birthday in the past I often slid down a mountain or climbed up one. Before that I partied. When I started my today it dawned on my how satisfied I am. I spent so many years dedicated to a life well lived. Having superlative experiences in the forests and cities of this amazing place we get to inhabit. Never wanting for adventure or gratification. The satisfaction I've found in service now is somehow deeper and fuller than what I had found simply having fun. Serving the mountains that have given me so much, serving my family.  Making sure these boys we brought here have the same chances I did to engage this world fully and shake out from their experiences what moves them. There's a joy in maintaining this property and committing my time and energy to the creatures that live here. I still managed to treat myself pretty well today despite my commitment to service hahaha.

Today was an incredible day. Today was my birthday. 


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff as usual, Nay. Happy Birthday! You deserve all the things you have.

    ReplyDelete